Fish cooks best over open fire. Experienced cooks will tell you that fish tastes best when cooked over campfire.
But cooking fish is different from cooking other things. A lot of care needs to be taken.
Preparing for barbecue:
- Grill gate cleaning – With its delicate skin cleaning of the grill becomes a necessity.If not done properly the fish can fall apart very quickly.Start by cleaning the sticky stuff with wire brush and end with wiping it clean with tissue paper.
- Lubricate the grill – The grill should be lubricated properly to avoid sticking. Use a tissue towel to lubricate the grill carefully. It will save your fish.
- Grill heating – Before starting to cook heat the grill to high temperature. Fish will stick to warm grill. So it is necessary to make the grill reach higher temperatures.
Barbecuing the fish
- Choose the right fish – The fish which is fresh will cook best on the barbecue.
- Removing scales – The scales of the fish should be removed uniformly for it to cook evenly.
- Making slashes on skin – This is required to open up the fish for proper cooking. The slashes are to be used to insert spices for a better flavour.
- Prepare the fish with oil and spice – Fish cooks best when prepared beforehand by applying oil and spices. The fish meat absorbs spices very easily.
- Cook both sides – Cooking fish requires exposing it to heat on both sides up to five minutes. Over exposing can ruin the taste.
Barbecued fish is succulent and tastes great. Just a bit careful and the fish barbecue will beat all others.